There are a variety of options for securing health insurance in California. To find the best value, it is worth looking at plans that offer subsidized enrollments or plans for lower-income enrollees. Conducting an enrollment drive or offering enrollment information is a worthwhile activity for Neighborhood Councils.
Covered California is California’s health insurance marketplace. The organization offers a comprehensive overview of plans and rates here. Covered California offers health insurance through 11 providers, although not all providers are available in all areas. All 11 providers are returning for 2019. They are:
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Blue Shield of California
- Chinese Community Health Plan
- Health Net
- Kaiser Permanente
- L.A. Care
- Molina Healthcare
- Sharp Health Plan
- Valley Health Plan
- Western Health Advantage
Enrollment ends January 15.
Medi-Cal Managed Care
Medi-Cal Managed Care is an option for lower-income Californians. According to the LA County Department of Health Services, “Medi-Cal has been expanded to adults 19-64 without children and incomes at or below 138% of the federal poverty level (FPL). For example, for the year 2018 this equals a monthly income of $1,397 for an individual and $2,887 for a family of four.”
LACare.org offers sign up for health plans including:
- Medi-Cal Managed Care, an LA County public program open to adults, families, and people with disabilities who meet income requirements. It is free for those who qualify, meaning no monthly premiums or co-pays.
- L.A. Care Covered, which offers eight different plans for individuals, couples, and families.
- PASC-SEIU aka Homecare Workers Healthcare Plan, which is geared toward homecare workers.
- Cal Medi-Connect, which is for low-income individuals who qualify for both Medicare and Medi-Cal.
- Affordable Care Act and Medi-Cal Q&A from California Department of Health Care Services
- Health Affairs Article – “National vs. California Comparison: Detailed Data Help Explain The Risk Differences Which Drive Covered California’s Success”